Wednesday, December 20, 2023

#WIPWednesday, December 20th, 2023

A phaser pistol from Star Trek Discovery with a big red "CENSORED" stamped over it.

Happy Wednesday, everybody!

Tony here, with the weekly Work in Progress Wednesday post that has an 87% lower chance of getting flagged on Instagram than just posting the images up there.

Props for Cosplay - Lightsabers

So, after a week of printing (and waiting for more chrome filament to come in), I'm about 80% finished with the lightsabers I'm printing for the talk in Anderson next May. I brought them down to the Creepy Cellar Workshop earlier this week, and did some test fitting over the last few days. Some photos are in the album I'm linking to this post, and they aren't looking bad. I still have some metallic filaments to buy, and I think I might have skipped some parts on the Mace Windu and Count Dooku lightsabers so I have to go through those checklists, but they're ready for some minor clean-up before getting glued together. 

The mindset behind these sabers is showing the group what could be done on the cheap. Are these sabers going to be part of a costume approved by the Rebel Legion? Heck, no. Are they going to work well if you got an inexpensive Jedi costume off of Amazon/eBay and are just looking for something fun to run around the convention halls in? Sure! I mean, these sabers, when all is said and done, cost approximately $15 each, if not less.

A loosely assembled 3D Printed copy of Obi Wan's lightsaber from The Phantom Menace
Click for larger image, and to see the rest of the album.

Props for Cosplay - Fallout

Initially, the Anderson talk was going to be rescheduled for April 13th, the day after Fallout dropped on Amazon Prime. This lead me to start planning a batch of Fallout props, as well, especially since very few of them look like real-world firearms. Okay, at least as far as the lasers and plasma weapons are concerned, and since that's what I want to focus on, it works.

Side note: As this is being done in a public library, I'm doing my best to minimize the number of prop replicas that are based on actual firearms. I'm still going to have to bring in some stuff like a Blaster Pistol and Blaster Rifle from Star Wars, because of the date, but for the most part, I want to make sure everything has a low chance of triggering the filters on Instagram, if you get my meaning. 

Anyway, last week I had a picture showing bits of a laser pistol, and I'm reprinting a few bits and getting everything together to start building that. I'm also hoping to have a laser rifle and a Pip Boy from Fallout 3.

The front emitter of a 3d printed laser pistol from Fallout 3.
Click for larger image and to see the rest of the album

Everything Else

I'm going to try to get some work done this week, but let's face it. It's the week before Christmas, so I have a lot to take care of between now and Monday. In addition, I'm starting work on my 2023 wrap-up that I'll have out on Tuesday the 2nd. So next week's blog post will probably be pictures of a few cleaned-up and glued-together lightsabers, and if I got any shop gear for Christmas, I'll probably excitedly post that, as well. 

In the meantime, I'm going to go ahead and let y'all get back to your Wednesday. Please remember to take good care of yourselves, and each other. The world sucks out there, try not to make it suck any more. In fact, if you can, try to make it suck a little less.

'Til next week,
Tony

No comments:

Post a Comment